To add a logo to a form, such an invoice, you first need to open the Basic Customization window of the form you want to modify.
QuickBooks stores forms in files called templates, and there is usually a different template for a different function, such as producing an invoice and producing an estimate. Therefore, if you want to make a change to one template, you may want to make that change to several templates so that all of your forms have a consistent look. You’ll need to make modifications to templates one by one.
There are several ways to open the Basic Customization window for a specific template:
- Open the form you want to customize and click the Customize button itself – not the arrow indicator that opens the pull down menu as displayed below
- Open any form, click the Customize button, followed by the Manage Templates… selection on the drop down menu to choose the template you want to modify
- Open the Templates window by clicking on the Lists->Templates menu selection, select the template you want to modify in the list and double click on that template; alternately, you can click on the Templates button and choose Edit Template on the drop down menu or use the keyboard shortcut Ctrl + e
The Create Invoices window:
The Templates window:
From the Basic Customization window, there are 2 approaches to adding a logo:
- Click on the Use logo checkbox and then select your logo by clicking on the Select Logo… button (which won’t be active until you click the checkbox or
- Click the Layout Designer… button at the bottom of the Basic Customization window
The first approach is only suitable if your logo is an exact square. QuickBooks automatically resizes the image you select and place using this method into a square, which isn’t suitable for all logo images.
For that reason, we recommend that you proceed by clicking the Layout Designer… button, an approach that works whether your logo is a square or rectangle. Click the Add button and choose Image from the drop down menu that appears.
In the Select Image window that appears, locate your logo image and click Open. Your logo will be added to your template.
You can move the logo by positioning your mouse pointer inside the logo image and dragging it where you want it. You can only resize it to a new dimension that is scaled from the original dimensions. You can’t change the scale of the logo using Layout Designer. If you need to do that, you’ll have to use an image editing program. To change the dimensions of the logo image, click on any one of the handles on the border and drag it to the desired size.
To save your work, click Ok two times.