When you enable the company preference Use with QuickBooks Financial Software on the Edit->Preferences->Company->Financial menu, certain information is exchanged between POS and QuickBooks financial software.
Exchanges take place by initiating the exchange from POS by clicking on the menu Financial->Update QuickBooks.
The results of a successful exchange are shown below.
The Financial Exchange window summarizes what has been exchanged.
Some information is exchanged in both directions:
- customer information excluding account balances
- active vendor information
Once POS is installed and running, inventory transactions are managed in POS. Therefore, most information exchanges occur from POS to QuickBooks. These exchanges are:
- customer payments
- cash register payouts
- sales and order deposits
- receiving vouchers
- financial impact of inventory adjustments
- freight charges on inventory transfers between stores (POS Pro Multi-store)
- time clock records (POS Pro)
To provide the ability for management to record some transactions that affect account balances and change customer credit limits, QuickBooks financial software exchanges this information to POS:
- customer account balances
- customer credit limits
Certain information is not exchanged in either direction:
- inventory items and quantities after the initial import from QuickBooks financial software to POS
- employee commissions and tips
- purchase orders
This information is summarized in this Intuit knowledge base article.